Saturday, November 24, 2012

Walking In Trust Lessons Learned with my Blind Dog by Gayle M. Irwin

Here is our next installment of Cladach's Fall Book Fling! 

Walking In Trust Lessons learned with my Blind Dog is today's book.  I have raised dogs for many years, and I love both people and animals. I was really happy to read this book because I have learned so many things through my animals that I wanted to see what someone learned. This book shows God using a beloved dog going blind to teach about love, trust, hope and how awesome our God really is - all being learned from one family dealing with the changes and helping as their dog's whole life changes! 
(It's been a busy busy Thanksgiving here, so I will add in a few more thoughts later when I can!) 

Below is lots of info about the book, the front and back cover, and a film at the bottom as well!
Carol 


 Here is Cladach's web site: http://www.cladach.com/Walking-in-Trust-Blog-Tour.html

BOOK DATA:Paperback
208 pgs, 5.5" x 8.5"
Illustrated with many Bl/Wh Photos
$14.99
Available at:
Amazon.com
BN.com
Cladach.com
Kindle e-book format

BOOK DESCRIPTION:
Spending time in this book with Gayle and her dog, Sage, will help you listen more closely to what Creator God may be saying to you through your experience of the world around you. Gayle shares stories of her life with Sage, then draws out principles from the stories and from scriptures that apply to our daily lives. Chapter titles include: Patience, Wisdom, Obedience, Forgiveness, Purity, Friendship, Courage, Loyalty, Confidence, Joy, Compassion, Humility, Mystery, Goodness, Praise, Generosity, Love, Faithful, Respect, Self-Control, Contentment, Gentleness, Kindness, Hope, Peace, Reliable, Trust, Rest, Gratitude, and Perseverance. Thirty topical chapters lend themselves to a month of daily readings. Each chapter closes with a prayer that makes the lesson personal. Photos of Sage and her escapades, interspersed through the book, illustrate the stories. Our Creator has many ways of walking with us and teaching us. He can even use a blind dog named Sage!

READ EXCERPT




PRAISE for the BOOK:"Readers will laugh and cry - I certainly did! Mrs. Irwin's reflections are deep and always focus on glory to God. She shows how God interacts with us, how His instruction and His wisdom have such impact on our lives. She richly connects Sage's journey through life and God's path for us. I will be rereading and reflecting on each chapter to deepen my walk with God!" ~ Kari Nordahl, Bible Study Facilitator and Elementary School Educator, San Bernardino, CA
"Readers will laugh and cry - I certainly did! Mrs. Irwin's reflections are deep and always focus on glory to God. She shows how God interacts with us, how His instruction and His wisdom have such impact on our lives. She richly connects Sage's journey through life and God's path for us. I will be rereading and reflecting on each chapter to deepen my walk with God!" ~ Susan Bulanda, author of God's Creatures and Faithful Friends

AUTHOR BIO:
Gayle Irwin has worked as a journalist, and as an educator in conservation and humane treatment of animals. She is the author of two children's books, and several of her stories appear in Chicken Soup for the Soul books. Mrs. Irwin writes regularly for Our Town Casper, a monthly community magazine, and for The River Press, a newspaper in Fort Benton, Montana.
Mrs. Irwin sees God's handiwork in his creation and believes great lessons can be learned by observing nature. She shares those lessons with students and others when she speaks.
Mrs. Irwin was raised in Iowa. She and her husband, Greg, a videographer, currently reside in Casper, Wyoming. Get to know Mrs. Irwin better at http://www.cladach.com/Irwin.html

AUTHOR INTERVIEW:
We did something different this time, and we asked Gayle to fill in the blanks in the following statements:
1. My husband and I were looking to adopt a Springer Spaniel because we liked the size and personality of the breed.
2. Two years after we adopted Sage, she became fully blind. This presented many challenges. The hardest part for me was trying to not feel sorry for her, wondering if she missed being able to see. But, as we shared life together, I came to understand that dogs are very resilient and that her other senses helped her navigate her surroundings, even those with which she was not familiar (i.e., school buildings, hotels, etc.) .
3. One thing that triggers my memory of Sage is when we spend time at our cabin. Not only is this the area where we lost her for two days, but it's also a special place where we shared long walks in the forest, a cozy fire in the woodstove during spring and autumn, and evenings with friends and family. .
4. If I won a reality TV show where my winnings would go to a charity, I would choose Best Friends Animal Society of Utahbecause they do so much to help homeless pets, not only those that come to their sanctuary, but numerous others around the country, through workshops, conferences, and other guidance. They also respond to pets in need during a natural disaster. .
5. I feel like I'm really getting something done when I pray before my day begins and read my devotional, then focus on the goals I've set for the day and not let the phone or other potential interruptions distract me; that sometimes means closing my office door and letting the voicemail pick up the phone .
6. Outside of my own home, the place where I spend the most time is the cabin and property on Casper Mountain. Our acreage has become my sanctuary, a place of solitude, a place to write, a place to spend time with God. Because it's located only 20 minutes from our house, I'm able to go up there frequently, even if only for a few hours after work one evening. I am thankful for this lovely, quiet place! .
7. My favorite sport to watch is basketball, but I sometimes sit through a baseball game with my husband, as that is his favorite sport. .
8. If I had the time and money, I would donate to and volunteer more with children's charities and companion animal groups, and also start my own pet foundation and animal sanctuary, particularly for disabled pets.

AUTHOR VIDEO:

No comments: